[plug] SuSE 9.2 sound problem

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Sat Feb 26 22:38:41 WST 2005

Hi

Recently I was using YaST2 package management.  I clicked the wrong
icon, and, rather than wait for it to complete (would have been
harmless), I tried to kill it and click the correct icon.

Bad move.  Keyboard and mouse were both disabled.  Pressing the reset
button got me up, but I had to watch hundreds (I think) of reiserfs
transactions scroll past.

Everything appeared back to normal, except the sound.  When I boot, I
get the following:

Control Center / Sound & Multimedia / Sound System / Test Sound
   works.  I hear the test sound fine.
tvtime - no sound.  The tv card's line-out ---> sound card line-in.

Now do
System / YaST / Hardware / Sound

Sometimes when I click Finish directly I get sound.  Other times I have
to click Volume and discover that Line volume has been reset to 0.
Changing it back to 70 restores the tv sound.  The change does not
appear to be kept.

Running /etc/init.d/alsastart restart
   instead of starting YaST does not have any effect.  Is there an arts
configuration file somewhere?  There is no change to asound.state.

Any clues?

TIA
Jim

ps  Does SuSE have a Services screen similar to Mandrake's?