[plug] SuSE 9.2 sound problem

Carl Gherardi carl.gherardi at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 11:47:53 WST 2005

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 22:38:41 +0800, Jim Householder
<nofixed at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Sometimes when I click Finish directly I get sound.  Other times I have
> to click Volume and discover that Line volume has been reset to 0.
> Changing it back to 70 restores the tv sound.  The change does not
> appear to be kept.

Alsa defaults to muting the sound card.

> Running /etc/init.d/alsastart restart
>    instead of starting YaST does not have any effect.  Is there an arts
> configuration file somewhere?  There is no change to asound.state.
>
> Any clues?

I've been informed that most "audio guys" like to have a default
setting that gets reset whenever a machine reboots or alsa restarts,
so the settings are never saved on shutdown of the service.

I dont know suse to well, but under redhat/fedora the mixer settings
for the card are stored in /etc/alsa.d/cardname (if the module name
for your soundcard is snd-hdsp then /etc/alsa.d/hdsp) if the file
doesn't exist then the soundcard is muted by default.

Hope that helps.

Carl G