[plug] [revisited] mp3 downsizing

Gavin Chester gavinchester1 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 1 16:04:08 WST 2005

On Fri, 2004-12-31 at 10:34, Timothy White wrote:

-snip-
> As said in a previous post. Before downsampling the MP3s use a tag
> editor to rename the files with all the information you want to keep in
> the tag.
> e.g. Artist - Album - Title - Track #.mp3
> Then downsample the files ensuring the new files have the same
> meaningful names (maybe with '(DS)' tacked onto the end) and then use
> the tag editor to fill in the tags from the name.

-snip-

> p.s. It would be nice if Lame could take the tag information with it.
> Maybe a little script using cmd line tag editors ether side of lame to
> store the information and recover it.
> So something like below (No language in particular) (Use MP3::Info or
> similar you could skip renaming files)
> If you need more help, just call and I will probably have a working perl
> script for you.
> Tim

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

Thanks for you patience to explain this to me, Tim.  I've got it sussed
now - though not as perfect as Lame preserving the tags, it is a good
workaround.  Also, thanks for the scripting offer but I won't bother
with extracting and copying back the tags.  I have learned more about
encoding through this episode and I wish I had burned all my CDs in ogg
format because now I know that I could have converted them to smaller
mp3s afterwards anyway.  Doh! (& Duh!)

Regards, Gavin.