[plug] WA PHP mailing list

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Tue Jan 4 12:17:52 WST 2005

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004, Leon Brooks wrote:

> Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 06:55:52 +0800
> From: Leon Brooks <leon at brooks.fdns.net>
> To: Perth Linux User Group <plug at plug.linux.org.au>
>
> For those who love a language with a function for every occasion:

> Cheers; Leon

Looked for the list archive - "404 Not found on this server".

In looking at the list archives for other lists hosted at
lists.linux.org.au, in the archives, the archives are ordered
alphabetically, so that for any given year (after the year that the
current ordering was implemented), December precedes February, which
precedes January. Similarly, November precedes October, which precedes
September.

>From memory, Leon, you are still a member of the Linux Australia
committee.

I do not know what list software is used for the lists hosted by
lists.linux.org.au, but the software used by Rootsweb for its genealogy
mailing lists, has what I think is a slightly better archiving system.
Rootsweb uses Smartlist from memory, and hosts about 26,000 lists, with
traffic for each list ranging from one message every few years, to
several hundred each day.

If, as an example, you go to the web page
http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/surname/n/nutter.html, for the Nutter
name list, at the bottom, you can see the links for the list archive,
providing both search (for each year) and browse (for each month)
facilities, with the order of the browse facility months, being
chronological, and not alphabetic..

Could you get an investigation into the possibility of switching the
list and/or archiving software, for the lists hosted by
lists.linux.org.au, to improve the archiving of the lists?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."