[plug] Problems with Sendmail

J. Richard Mortimer richardm at memo.com.au
Fri Jan 7 11:48:31 WST 2005

Hi Folks,

I've been a long time Linux user, however I've been sucked back into the
Windows world and my skillset in the *nix area is a little bit rusty.

I run a box at home, which is mainly for webserving my photos, and allows me
to write some Perl scripts for various tasks and gives the "logic" side of
my brain some food to munch on every now and again. This week I'd been
updating some scripts and thought it would be nice to send some emails out
to my WestNet account, rather than staying local and using POP3 to grab my
email, as time at home seems limited these days. This is when all my dramas
began.

I made a backup of my /etc directory, which was stored on a HD on another
machine, however that machine has since died and I can't get the information
back - *sigh*, the data-gods have been against me so far this year.

The sendmail version is "Sendmail 8.12.5", RHL version is "Linux webbot
2.4.18-14".

Trying to send an email to the only user on the box results in an error
message in the maillog stating:

Jan  7 11:07:41 neophytte sendmail[1781]: j0737fKV001781: from=root,
size=630376, class=0, nrcpts=1,
msgid=<200501070307.j0737fKV001781 at neophytte.mine.nu>, relay=root at localhost

Jan  7 11:07:41 neophytte sendmail[1781]: j0737fKV001781: to=mortimer,
ctladdr=root (0/0), delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay,
pri=30014, relay=neophytte.mine.nu. [202.72.154.34], dsn=4.0.0,
stat=Deferred: Connection refused by neophytte.mine.nu.

Trying the verbose mode of sendmail gives me this:

[root at webbot mail]# sendmail -v mortimer

blah

.

mortimer... Connecting to neophytte.mine.nu. via relay...

mortimer... Deferred: Connection refused by neophytte.mine.nu.

[root at webbot mail]#

I've rebuilt the sendmail.cf file from the sendmail.mc file with the m4
command (as research has indicated I should do), but this error still
persists. This is a copy of the sendmail.mc file:

[root at webbot mail]# cat sendmail.mc

divert(-1)

dnl This is the sendmail macro config file. If you make changes to this
file,

dnl you need the sendmail-cf rpm installed and then have to generate a

dnl new /etc/mail/sendmail.cf by running the following command:

dnl

dnl        m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/mail/sendmail.cf

dnl

include(`/usr/share/sendmail-cf/m4/cf.m4')

VERSIONID(`linux setup for Red Hat Linux')dnl

OSTYPE(`linux')

dnl Uncomment and edit the following line if your mail needs to be sent out

dnl through an external mail server:

define(`SMART_HOST',`mail.westnet.com.au')

define(`confDEF_USER_ID',``8:12'')dnl

undefine(`UUCP_RELAY')dnl

undefine(`BITNET_RELAY')dnl

dnl define(`confAUTO_REBUILD')dnl

define(`confTO_CONNECT', `1m')dnl

define(`confTRY_NULL_MX_LIST',true)dnl

define(`confDONT_PROBE_INTERFACES',true)dnl

define(`PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH',`/usr/bin/procmail')dnl

define(`ALIAS_FILE', `/etc/aliases')dnl

dnl define(`STATUS_FILE', `/etc/mail/statistics')dnl

define(`UUCP_MAILER_MAX', `2000000')dnl

define(`confUSERDB_SPEC', `/etc/mail/userdb.db')dnl

define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `authwarnings,novrfy,noexpn,restrictqrun')dnl

define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A')dnl

dnl TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`EXTERNAL DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl

dnl define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `EXTERNAL GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN
PLAIN')dnl

dnl define(`confCACERT_PATH',`/usr/share/ssl/certs')

dnl define(`confCACERT',`/usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt')

dnl define(`confSERVER_CERT',`/usr/share/ssl/certs/sendmail.pem')

dnl define(`confSERVER_KEY',`/usr/share/ssl/certs/sendmail.pem')

dnl define(`confTO_QUEUEWARN', `4h')dnl

dnl define(`confTO_QUEUERETURN', `5d')dnl

dnl define(`confQUEUE_LA', `12')dnl

dnl define(`confREFUSE_LA', `18')dnl

define(`confTO_IDENT', `0')dnl

dnl FEATURE(delay_checks)dnl

FEATURE(`no_default_msa',`dnl')dnl

FEATURE(`smrsh',`/usr/sbin/smrsh')dnl

FEATURE(`mailertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable.db')dnl

FEATURE(`virtusertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable.db')dnl

FEATURE(redirect)dnl

dnl FEATURE(always_add_domain)dnl

FEATURE(use_cw_file)dnl

FEATURE(use_ct_file)dnl

dnl The '-t' option will retry delivery if e.g. the user runs over his
quota.

FEATURE(local_procmail,`',`procmail -t -Y -a $h -d $u')dnl

FEATURE(`access_db',`hash -T<TMPF> -o /etc/mail/access.db')dnl

FEATURE(`blacklist_recipients')dnl

EXPOSED_USER(`root')dnl

dnl This changes sendmail to only listen on the loopback device 127.0.0.1

dnl and not on any other network devices. Comment this out if you want

dnl to accept email over the network.

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')

dnl NOTE: binding both IPv4 and IPv6 daemon to the same port requires

dnl       a kernel patch

dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`port=smtp,Addr=::1, Name=MTA-v6, Family=inet6')

dnl We strongly recommend to comment this one out if you want to protect

dnl yourself from spam. However, the laptop and users on computers that do

dnl not have 24x7 DNS do need this.

dnl FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl

dnl FEATURE(`relay_based_on_MX')dnl

MAILER(smtp)dnl

MAILER(local)dnl

MAILER(uucp)dnl

dnl MAILER(procmail)dnl

Cwlocalhost

[root at webbot mail]#

>From what I understand from my research, the Cw command on the last line is
where the mail will be sent, which should be localhost, however as shown by
the log snippet it's trying to send to it's own name and refusing the
connection.

Is anyone able to stop my poor brain from aching over this? My primary goal
is to get local email working, although being able to send via the WestNet
mail system would be the ultimate goal.

Thanks, Happy New Year to all!

Richard

-----