[plug] Problems with Sendmail

Mark O'Shea mark at musicalstoat.co.uk
Fri Jan 7 16:46:19 WST 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 12:58, J. Richard Mortimer wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, however the local-host-names did contain the
> domain:
>
> [root at webbot mail]# cat local-host-names
> # local-host-names - include all aliases for your machine here.
> localhost
> localdomain
> localhost.localdomain
> neophytte.mine.nu
> webbot
> 127.0.0.1
> 202.72.154.34
> [root at webbot mail]#
>
> And the relay-domains file contains:
>
> [root at webbot mail]# cat relay-domains
> localhost
> neophytte.mine.nu
> webbot
> 127.0.0.1
> 202.72.154.34
> 192.168.0
>
> [root at webbot mail]#
>
> But I still get the same result in the logfile:
>
> Jan  7 12:54:54 neophytte sendmail[2185]: j074ssPf002185: from=root,
> size=1684, class=0, nrcpts=1,
> msgid=<200501070454.j074ssPf002185 at neophytte.mine.nu>, relay=root at localhost
> Jan  7 12:54:55 neophytte sendmail[2185]: j074ssPf002185: to=mortimer,
> ctladdr=root (0/0), delay=00:00:01, xdelay=00:00:01, mailer=relay,
> pri=30014, relay=neophytte.mine.nu. [202.72.154.34], dsn=4.0.0,
> stat=Deferred: Connection refused by neophytte.mine.nu.
>
> I'm presuming those two files look roughly correct, or won't have any
> negative impact for containing all the names and IP addresses?
>
> Thanks
>
> Richard

Just got back to my machine and I see no more messages so I presume
you're still having problems?

Yes, afaik you don't need to add localhost or the systems hostname to
the local-host-names file but it shouldn't do any harm I don't think.

There is obviously something that I haven't thought of that is causing
the problem but I can't think.  I have sendmail working here on an
OpenBSD machine that doesn't accept external connections that is able to
send mail fine and it is set up similar to how yours would seem to be.

The fact that changing the m4 file and rebuilding the sendmail.cf didn't
allow external connections does bother me (even though that isn't the
cause of your problems), have you made sure that when you rebuilt it you
copyed the created file to the right location?

Does anyone else have any ideas?
--
Mark O'Shea