[plug] Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Sat Jan 8 14:25:43 WST 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 14:04, Brad Campbell wrote:
> Chris Caston wrote:
> >
> > Usually if the manufacturer utility recommends replacing the drive then
> > they will accept it. Just give them all the error codes.
>
> And therein lies the problem. Maxtor utility says the drive is fine.
> Now I know for a fact if I install this drive back in the array, within 2 days SMART will be
> notifying me the drive has another couple of pending reallocations and I'll have to refresh the disk
> to force a reallocation (which takes 9 hours on this box). I can't use it, but until I can generate
> enough reallocated sectors for SMART to complain I can't return it either.
>
> On another note. The latest Maxtor software is Windows only and won't work with most types of SATA
> add-on controllers. Really useful that!

Yeah the website
(http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.3c67e325e0a6b1f6294198b091346068/?channelpath=/en_us/Support/Software%20Downloads/ATA%20Hard%20Drives&downloadID=22 ) makes it look like that. Apart from their inbuilt temp sensors (which Seagate have anyway) I don't see a great deal of reason to use Maxtor.

I'm currently using UBCD ver 3 which has PowerMax (Maxtor/Quantum)
4.09