[plug] Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Sat Jan 8 14:32:40 WST 2005

Chris Caston wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 14:04, Brad Campbell wrote:
>
>>Chris Caston wrote:
>>
>>>Usually if the manufacturer utility recommends replacing the drive then
>>>they will accept it. Just give them all the error codes.
>>
>>And therein lies the problem. Maxtor utility says the drive is fine.
>>Now I know for a fact if I install this drive back in the array, within 2 days SMART will be
>>notifying me the drive has another couple of pending reallocations and I'll have to refresh the disk
>>to force a reallocation (which takes 9 hours on this box). I can't use it, but until I can generate
>>enough reallocated sectors for SMART to complain I can't return it either.
>>
>>On another note. The latest Maxtor software is Windows only and won't work with most types of SATA
>>add-on controllers. Really useful that!
>>

> Yeah the website
> (http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.3c67e325e0a6b1f6294198b091346068/?channelpath=/en_us/Support/Software%20Downloads/ATA%20Hard%20Drives&downloadID=22 ) makes it look like that. Apart from their inbuilt temp sensors (which Seagate have anyway) I don't see a great deal of reason to use Maxtor.

I have 27 of them. Price was right and they seem to do the job. (Out of 27 drives I had expected at
least one to fail per year. This one has about 5500 hours on the clock so it's a bit early, but I'm
not overly suprised I guess.

> I'm currently using UBCD ver 3 which has PowerMax (Maxtor/Quantum)
> 4.09

I'm using an older version of UBCD, it does have PowerMax on it though. Must be time to upgrade UBCD.

Brad