[plug] Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!

Craig Foster fostware at westnet.com.au
Sat Jan 8 14:55:35 WST 2005

<snip>
> While I'm here, does anyone know a sure fire way to kill a
> hard disk that does not involve physical damage? I have a
> Maxtor Maxline-II 250GB that is slowly growing bad sectors. I
> can't use it in my RAID as I can't rely on the disk, but it
> is not yet bad enough to RMA so I need to coax it to get
> worse in a hurry to be able to RMA the disk. I figured I
> might just leave my machine on doing constant badblock -n
> cycles, which should just exercise it to death (that seems to
> make the bad blocks grow faster anyway). I guess I could cook
> it, but I just have a problem with doing it that way.
>
> Frustrated in Dubai.
> Brad

I'll preface this method with a similar reason to you. The WD 20G drive was
faulty in Linux (read errors even in PIO mode) but fine in Windows (go
figure) - the supplier wouldn't accept it under warranty, so I bent the
rules...

Anyway, I ran a repeated 'cat /dev/random > /dev/hdd' to the drive and
trailed the cables to allow me to put the drive somewhere warm - on top of
my UPS. Waited a day with this running, until the badblocks started showing
in decent numbers. As the drive was still warm, I reran the drive test
floppy, and got the required errors.

Hope this helps,

CraigF.