[plug] Linux Home vs Linux Server.?

Timothy White weirdo at tigris.org
Sat Jan 8 16:19:29 WST 2005

William Kenworthy wrote:
---snip---

>debian (which I never have used, but have
>not liked what I have seen (too primative) - personnel opinion!) if you
>want to "roll your own" server from binary packages and gentoo if you
>want to get down and dirty (very steep learning curve if you want to go
>the full path, but equiv to debian if you use the binary install, but
>with better package management)

I went Mandrake (It had the smaller installer out of it and red hat)
Then went to red hat looking for more power.
Then Debian (Just before 3.0 came out) and have pretty much stuck to it.
I usually install using Knoppix (or similar) and run testing/unstable so
that it is close to bleeding edge.

I am trying Gentoo which was supposed to be for my new gateway but found
I didn't like some aspects of it (other than the fact I am on dialup.) I
particularly didn't like unmerge which doesn't always work and doesn't
check dependencies. Otherwise portage (it's apt-get equivalent) is fine.

IMHO I think Debian is not primitive unless you grew up on a GUI.
Although in that sense Gentoo is primitive as well.
I can see that you could say Debian is primitive in keeping up with the
times, I'm still waiting for Xorg. Although under Gentoo I'm waiting for
a few packages that are already in Debian and not Gentoo.

My server and gateway are both now Debian with my scratch box running
Gentoo.
The real difference I can see is that Gentoo is 'by default' using up to
date packages and can have a speed advantage (which doesn't always hold
true.)

Back On Topic
If your comfortable with Debian then stick with it (it has more 'user
friendly' features than first meets the eye)
Other wise, play around, set up a number of servers with different
distros. Your easily find which you like the best and possibly discover
things about the servers intended functions that you may not have seen
before (problems, easy solutions, different methods...)

Tim
--

Tim White - Use the Fox, Luke!
PGP/GPG id: 602E944D, Pub Key Serv: subkeys.pgp.net