[plug] Linux Home vs Linux Server.?

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sat Jan 8 10:08:01 WST 2005

Not so much personnel choice, but go with what you are familiar and
comfortable with.  Stick with standard debian on a test install until
you are up to speed and then experiment until you find a distro that
suits.

I went redhat-5.0->mandrake->gentoo with a number of side tracks and
have been mostly gentoo for a couple of years now, and except for some
niggles am happy.  My current reccomendations would be Mandrake for a
linux desktop newbie, redhat if running production servers (which I did
once a long time ago now!), debian (which I never have used, but have
not liked what I have seen (too primative) - personnel opinion!) if you
want to "roll your own" server from binary packages and gentoo if you
want to get down and dirty (very steep learning curve if you want to go
the full path, but equiv to debian if you use the binary install, but
with better package management)

BillK