[plug] Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Sat Jan 8 20:36:38 WST 2005

On 8 Jan 2005 at 8:48, Brad Campbell wrote:

8<----------- snip --------------->8

> I have a Maxtor Maxline-II 250GB that is slowly growing bad sectors. I can't use it in my
> RAID as I can't rely on the disk, but it is not yet bad enough to RMA so I need to coax it to get
> worse in a hurry to be able to RMA the disk. I figured I might just leave my machine on doing
> constant badblock -n cycles, which should just exercise it to death (that seems to make the bad
> blocks grow faster anyway). I guess I could cook it, but I just have a problem with doing it that
> way.

8<----------- snip --------------->8

Sorry to hear about your adventure with DOS version of fdisk.

The DOS version of  fdisk is an abomination - it should only be used on DOS only based systems - if
at all !!

Have you considered using Partition Magic - version 8 is excellent - Powerquest used Caldera DOS
for the emergency boot disks instead of MS-DOS - it is sooooo much better.

NOTE :

"slowly growing bad sectors" could indicate there are

1 ) potential problems with the power supply

and/or

2 ) the drive is overheating

Regards Arie