[plug] Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Sat Jan 8 22:39:38 WST 2005

Arie Hol wrote:

> "slowly growing bad sectors" could indicate there are
>
> 1 ) potential problems with the power supply
>
> and/or
>
> 2 ) the drive is overheating

Except it has 13 brothers and all of them are fine. It does sit between 38 and 40 degrees according
to the on-board temp sensor but so do the other 13 disks. It has been perfect for over 5000 hours,
then it just started to develop errors. I swapped in another drive and put this one in a test
machine where it lives at about 40 degrees and it's still developing bad sectors. I'd suspect it's
toast, but that's just me.

It was /dev/sdj which lives in a Supermicro 5 Bay hotswap rack with a stonking great 55cfm 90mm fan
strapped to the back of it.

The average room temp is 22 degrees. It's up at the moment as my cleaning lady switched off the AC
this morning, this sdk and sdl are 5 degrees hotter than normal (They are stacked in the back of the
case with only a pair of poofy 80mm fans on them.

brad at srv:~$ sudo ./temps
/dev/hda - 37
/dev/sda - 39
/dev/sdb - 40