[plug] ready for linux

Sol sol at terminus.net.au
Mon Jan 10 08:43:32 WST 2005

> i have backup all my files i need. i also have my own disc of windows xp
> pro if anything gones wrong. i am now ready to partition my
> computer.please could someone either e-mail me the best way to do this
> or tell me a website to go to that i can follow to do this.does
> mandrake-linux work with isdn connection for the internet.i work with
> telstra . i live in the country and don't have anyone near me to help me
> with the partitioning.
Most of the major commercial distros have a partitioning tool that can
be used during set up. In fact, if memory serves me correctly, Mandrake
has a partitioning tool. At some point in the install it will provide a
suggested partitioning table. This is editable/configurable, so if you
don't like what it has suggested you can change it. This has a GUI
interface so it looks pretty, is relatively intuitive and easy to use.
It should detect your Windows partition automatically, however check to
see whether it has set aside enough space for this. So see how much disk
is being used under windows, and how much more you think you are likely
to use.

I haven't used Mandrake for a while, as I'm mostly using Suse now which
does have this tool. I think Mandrake has it too. I remember installing
on a friends machine who had a windows partition. I was surprised by how
simple it was to partition (I accepted the suggested partition scheme as
it was okay), and when it first booted into Linux, there was an icon on
the desktop which provided a shortcut to all the files on the "C:"
drive! I could both read AND write files to the windows partition from
within a booted Linux system. I wouldn't be too surprised if Mandrake
can do this for you too. :)

/sol