[plug] Re: APT package management

Carl Gherardi carl.gherardi at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 10:28:33 WST 2005

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 09:36:49 +0800, Leon Brooks <leon at brooks.fdns.net> wrote:
> On Friday 14 January 2005 00:14, Michael Hunt wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 21:39 +0800, Gavin Chester wrote:
> > > I am using RH8.0 - a dated version, I know.  However, I have used
> > > the version of APT adapted for RPM distros for some time and find
> > > that it's just GREAT.  However, because support for my version has
> > > ceased the updates have become non-existent.  Time to upgrade, I
> > > guess.
>
> > Shame no apt-get dist-upgrade !!!!!

I've used apt for rpm from https://moin.conectiva.com.br/AptRpm and
successfully done a dist-upgrade from Redhat 8 -> Fedora 2. The only
real problem was apt installing multiple versions of sendmail. YMMV

> urpmi.removemedia -a
> urpmi.addmedia name path://to.new.urpmi/mirror(s)
> urpmi urpmi
> urpmi --auto-select
> urpmi kernel
>
> Messier, but it does the job... oop, hang on, this was discussing Red
> Hat. Perhaps YUM can do similar things?

Yum works pretty well, can deal with multiple repos and multiple
architectures. Yum happily upgraded my system to Fedora Rawhide from
Fedora 2 without issue(except the usual bleeding edge issues.)

Hope that helps.

Carl G