[plug] mandrake-linux

Brock Woolf ultima160 at iinet.net.au
Wed Jan 12 19:38:39 WST 2005

Hi Mary,

Mandrake is the primary distribution that I use, and having used 10.1
Official, I would say DO NOT use it.
I downloaded it and have found it to be really buggy. I would set a
setting in the control panel with the firewall and
it wouldn't save the settings when i clicked ok and i found heaps of
other issues aswell, but overall it is not a solid release.
Personally I use Mandrake 10.0 Official and it is very rock solid and
reliable. I have found no speed advantage over
using 10.1 however at least 10.0 doesn't crash the entire linux kernel
like the "newer" 10.1!
My advice: Avoid 10.1 Official like the plague and get 10.0 official.
When Mandrake release 10.2 official, read reviews
and see what other people say before upgrading your system. I'm still
not too sure why Mandrake have chosen to take
this path and not fully test their "Official" release since their
philosophy is to work all the bugs out of Official release versions.
Mandrake 10.0 Official is still quite new and has good hardware support
and I think you will find it more than adequate for your needs.
10.1 does address extra support for Centrino processors and WiFi and
power management. So these are the only things I can see
which might hold you back.
Good luck!

Brock Woolf
"In a world without fences or walls, there's no need for Gates or
Windows".
www.getfirefox.com