[plug] mandrake-linux

Brock Woolf ultima160 at iinet.net.au
Wed Jan 12 22:26:46 WST 2005

On 12/01/2005, at 7:24 PM, mary welch wrote:
> i have decided to use only mandrake-linux 10.1 offficial . is the
> installation hard for a newbie
The installation in Mandrake 10 would be the easiest installer of all
the linux distros.
The partitioning and boot loader may be the only speed bumps here.

>  and i am having trouble finding a mirror to download cd's for i486.
See previous email =)

> i have backup my files .
Very Good =)

> does the cd's when installing mandrake do a full installation or will
> i be asked about partition. what do i say?
Mandrake has an option in the partitioning process that creates it's
own partitions by what mandrake thinks
you should have, choose the recommendation set by the Mandrake
installer.

> is there anything else i have to do to get my computer ready.
Just make sure you have the Linux CDs burned before you attempt to do
anything to your computer
and have a reliable backup, which you have already done.

> i have read all the information i can but get confused.
> i am IDE not sata.
IDE and SATA is the physical interface your hard drives use, this will
make no difference in the software install.

> i have a printer attached to my computer hp2210 all-in-one .do i
> reinstall this once mandrake is installed.
Yes, you will need to install the printer after you have installed
Linux, although HP Printer support is pretty good
in Mandrake so you hopefully won't have to install anything if it is
all auto-detected during installation.