[plug] (Parrallel Topic) Which BSD?

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Thu Jan 13 19:06:06 WST 2005

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 06:04:11PM +0800, James Devenish wrote:
> In message <41E642FB.8050303 at Diskworld.com.au>
> on Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 05:44:27PM +0800, Adrian Woodley wrote:
> > * NetBSD - tight IP stack. Designed primarily as a network services
> > platform.
>
> OpenBSD, derived from NetBSD, is specifically good in the
> firewall/gateway/router/border role.
>
> > * OpenBSD - focus on security and encryption.

Particularly strong as gateway and router.  Marvellous packet filter.
If you end up using this, I'd recommend buying the CD set, partly to
give them some support, and partly for the cool stickers.  :)

OpenBSD also has a reputation for having an abrasive and unfriendly
project leader (Theo de Raadt), but he's not that bad if you don't ask
questions without thorough research.

There are a couple of reasonable books about it installing and running
it, too.

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
Although golf was originally restricted to wealthy, overweight Protestants,
today it's open to anybody who owns hideous clothing.
		-- Dave Barry