[plug] turning off automount mandrake 10.1 official

James Budworth tsuki_yomi at zephilia.dyndns.org
Fri Jan 14 09:00:35 WST 2005

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, Mark Saxon wrote:

> Chris Caston wrote:
>
> No it does not but it does have some entries in files called
> udev.conf and /devfs/conf.d/dvd.conf but I don't think they
> are the culprit either.
> Maybe it is a feature but just behaving like a bug.
>
> Possibly just a buggy release as others have commented.
>
> Mark

I don't have a 10.1 Official install here in front of me so I can't
immediately help...
Altho looking at a 9.2 install you may want to take a look at
/etc/dynamic/scripts/rawdevice.script as that makes some mention of
mounting CDs

I have problems with one of these files as well.
Specifically /etc/devfs/conf.d/dynamic.conf

This is the file that determines what to do when it finds a new device .
The biggest problem I find is :

REGISTER        .*/part.*       EXECUTE /etc/dynamic/scripts/part.script
add $devpath
UNREGISTER      .*/part.*       EXECUTE /etc/dynamic/scripts/part.script
del $devpath

It will automatically add devices into fstab as well as create their mount
points (which can end up getting really messy)

This is be a real pain if you have an iPod.  As the data partition on an
iPod is the *second* partition, and part.script alyways tries to mount the
*first* partition.

My solution is to completely re-do part.script to just run scsidev.
That way, once I have scsidev configured, when I connect a known device,
it will always have the same partition, allocated to the same device.
(ie the ipod data partition is always /dev/scsi/ipod-p2 regardless of
which order firewire/usb devices were plugged in.)
Plus it saves running scsidev manually after you connect a device.

Just in case someone else is suffering the same hassles...

--
James Budworth