[plug] Backing up to DVD

Lee de Byl lee at leedb.net
Mon Jan 17 11:37:14 WST 2005

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of BackupPC; it looks like a
great tool, and I will investigate using that instead of tar. However,
I'm still curious about writing DVDs under Linux. It seems writing to
DVD-R(W) requires a tool such as dvdrecord or cdrecord-prodvd, which
seems logical, but it seems with DVD+RW I can simply mount the DVD drive
and use it as a normal disk e.g
   mke2fs /dev/cdrom
   mount -t ext2 /dev/cdrom/ /cdrom
   cp * /cdrom

or writing directly to the device without mounting or creating a filesystem.
   tar -Mcvf /dev/cdrom /home

I can understand being able to do such things with DVD-RAM, but are
these methods a good idea for DVD+RW? Will disks created in such a
manner be readable on other linux systems (with different drives)? I
would have thought the kernel would need to be patched for packet
writing to allow such things to happen.

Thanks,
Lee