[plug] DeskBank again

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Tue Jan 18 12:15:04 WST 2005

Interesting story so far. One of the WestPac tech support people has
told me that his manager refused to allow him to provide tech support,
because (not in so many words) then WestPac might be tricked into
having to support it forever.

However, I learned two things:

1. DeskBank up to but not including version 8.0 is a 16-bit application.
   This means that at a pinch you could run it under Win311 or the like
   inside DosBox (or at a chinese burn, DOSEMU) at least to get it
   installed;

2. (By implication, although the tech support bloke was careful to not
   make any statements which could be taken as directly confirming or
   denial) DeskBank does actually work in WINE;

3. WestPac is no longer interested in PC-based services, so they're
   building a web-based replacement - and, reading between the lines,
   it will be 100% dependent on MSIE. D'oh!

You can discover which version of DeskBank you have by stringsing the
main executable. The version I'm dealing with is 7.20, which is
displayed in the last handful of strings from the EXE.

I'll get to try a managed version of WINE later today, and will keep
y'all posted in case there's any other DeskBank users out there.

Cheers; Leon