Position Descriptions (Was Re: [plug] PLUG Annual General Meeting 2005 - call for nominations)

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jan 20 18:18:19 WST 2005

In message <41EF162A.5050105 at tigris.org>
on Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 10:23:38AM +0800, Timothy White wrote:
> Please write descriptions about the positions if you are currently in it
> or have been in one before.

Regarding the listmaster role, I will renominate / accept nomination
for this position. (Note that multiple people may hold this position
concurrently, and the bearers can be changed informally throughout the
year. We don't require any formal AGM business either.) However, it is
important to note that there are at least three managed lists:

 - committee at plug
 - off-topic at plug
 - plug at plug

I deal only with plug at plug.

I'm not aware of any assigned duties for the listmaster, but here
are some of the ones I've had on my plate at one stage or another:
 - Make decisions about the 20-80 messages caught each day by the
   non-subscriber filter.
 - Respond to out-of-band requests for unsubscriptions or
   subscription assistance (e.g. diagnosing / resolving
   subscription problems).
 - Forward out-of-band postings to the list.
 - Tend to subscribers' management enquiries.
 - Monitor the health of the list flow (i.e. is the list
   still "working") and flush the mail queue / restart
   daemons / take other action if there is a problem.
 - Reassert list etiquette from time to time.
 - Devise some sort of 'welcome message' for new subscribers.
 - Improve the mail<->news gating.