[plug] Need a shop that polishes CD's

Leon Blackwell leon at lostrealm.com
Sat Jan 22 23:43:29 WST 2005

On Sat, Jan 22, 2005 at 09:48:19AM +0400, Brad Campbell wrote:
> I use toothpaste on the tip of my finger.. (Brasso is too coarse)

I would say that toothpaste was too coarse.  Years ago, I had a CD get
really badly scratched to the point of being unreadable.  We went to an
optician and got some of the polishing solution that they use to remove
scratches from lenses.  From memory, it's made from tiny glass beads
that are suspended in a mildy viscous liquid.

Using a polishing cloth (also procured from the optician) and the
solution, we polished in a circular motion.  The CD is still playing to
this day (many years later).

If you do fix it, however, I would suggest making a copy as polishing it
will remove the protective coating on most modern discs, leaving it open
to further damage.

--
 Leon Blackwell                | Many Bothans died to bring us this
 http://www.lostrealm.com/     | email.