[plug] Newbie Guide - The beginning

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Fri Jan 28 13:05:50 WST 2005

harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au wrote:

> People have already proceeded down the "there must be some more tech
> that we can throw at the problem" and suggested Wiki's (which was
> talked over at the AGM). As discussed, it's the content that is
> hardest to do (or select).

Yes, I'd agree with that.  In revamping the PLUG web site there was
quite a bit of discussion about flash content management systems and
all that... in the end I just went and made a simple design and wrote
stuff to fill in the blanks; it has gradually become somewhat more
sophisticated since then.  The point is, the content comes first and
then you can worry about what nifty system you're going to use to take
care of it.

I think it's great that Arie has started to write some real content
and put it on the web already.  We can worry about editing it, getting
the formatting to look like the rest of the PLUG site and giving it a
plug.org.au address later (whenever Arie feels like it's ready I
suppose).

If I find the time I might chip in a bit myself, but unfortunately I'm
not really a good candidate for writing new content as my first
experience with Linux was quite a while ago and was probably coming
from quite a different background to most of the newbies who'll be
the audience for this guide (i.e. already familiar with Unix, command
line systems, partitioning and so on).

What I think would be really brilliant is if we could have something
to point our installees at the next Installfest at.  (Which will
hopefully be in the next few months...though we haven't got a venue or
started any kind of organisation for it yet.  If anyone has any
suggestions for an installfest venue that we'll be able to get in late
March/early April please contact <committee at plug.org.au>.  Likewise if
there's a compelling reason that I've neglected as to why this would
be a bad time to have an installfest.)

> http://www.harrys-hardware-heaven.com/hard-disks.html

Heh, any relation Harry?

Cameron.