[plug] Newbie Guide - The beginning

rpowersau at gmail.com rpowersau at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 19:43:42 WST 2005

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 18:49:38 +0800, Kev <kdownes at tpg.com.au> wrote:
<snip>
> Exactly!!  PLUG is a MOST unwelcoming group for newbies.  A newbie is
> made to feel totally inferior and stupid in a PLUG environment.  You can
> argue against that all you like - you'll be wrong every time!  This
> thread I thought was about trying to address precisely this problem.
>
> It's PLUGgers' attitudes which must change first.  "We're not a Debian
> shop, we're here to help you convert over from Wintendo to Linux the
> most painless way possible".  Unfortunately it'll all end there, coz the
> newbie's needs will go out the door while all the shining stars have
> their own little argument about which distro is best.  Meanwhile the
> newbie leaves, unnoticed, disallusioned, dissappointed and convinced
> more than ever that Linux is for wankers.  In my 12 mths so far I've
> seen a dozen or more come and go for exactly that reason.

> This woman has Windows and is begging someone to help get off it and
> onto Linux.  3rd reply starts like this, and I quote, "After you get the
> SHIFT key fixed on your keyboard you can ... ".  If that's one of the
> afforementioned Debian users, why would any outsider want to join?  Go
> back through the whole thread and see if you think she left satisfied or
> dissallusioned.  I'd almost guarrantee that she gave up, muttering
> "wankers" under her breath.  PLUGgers' attitudes must change if PLUG is
> to become a vehicle through which Windoze users are to be converted.
>
> Whether you all like it or not, the *nix world is just that - a world on
> its own.  Anyone brought up on DOS based systems (or CP/M) will struggle
> with *nix concepts.  It'd be different if you were brought up on *nix,
> but trying to unlearn all that old stuff and start again is very hard,
> especially for an ol' fart like me.
>
> > problem with youthful exuberance is just that, youthful. There is a
> > generation
>
> ... and the problem with arrogant exclusivists is just that, arrogant
> exclusiveness!

I've been on this list for many years. And the reason I'm still on it
after all these years  is exactly the opposite of what you say.
Pluggers are very helpful and far from "exclusivists". You should try
some other mailing lists if you really want arrogance.

Yes, the list has its quirks, and bad grammar and spelling and typing
flames, as you've mentioned above, are some of those. But It's not
arrogance, just some people's pet peeves. And yes there is bickering
and disagreements, but what community doesn't have those things.

These people give their time and knowledge to anyone who asks for no
material compensation. I'd say, IMHO, that's quite rear in society
today.

And what I've found is, on a technical list, where you are seeking
technical advice, you will get a lot of technical people. Not
marketing people or sales people or PR experts with prepared scripts
and years of training dealing with the public. They're just real
people giving to others.

I guess my point in the end is that you only get out of something what
you put into it. If you're coming to linux to be spoon fed happy
meals, you might as well keep paying you're ms tax and stick with
windoze. Bill will be quite happy to smile as he takes your money.
:-)

If you want to learn linux and interact with a good community, or even
get into a good flame war or two, stay here and enjoy.

;-)

* Please note all of the above is MHO

> > gap of varying degrees, not only in age but knowledge, so finding common
> > ground is going to be difficult. The informal nature of the Monday evening
> > workshops makes things more so. It is daunting to go to a meeting where
> > you are unknown and need assistance with your problem, in an atmosphere
> > of higher learning. Everything is getting stacked against you form the
> > start if your much older than late teens. The solution, like the problem, is going
> > to be just as complex.
>
> You're correct all the way here.  But this is about changing all that
> isn't it?  PLUGgers' attitudes must change.
>
> > Mark
> > (These comments are mine and not necessarily that of the PLUG Committee)
>
> And my comments are mine, and strongly heartfelt!
>
> Btw, I have already offered my help in rectifying this.
>
> Cheers
> Kev

Regards,
Russ