[plug] Newbie Guide - The beginning

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Jan 28 21:16:08 WST 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 19:47 +0800, Kev wrote:
> I rest my case!!

I suspect you may have a severe misconception about this list. It's not
packed to the gills with Linux evangelists who think everybody should be
using their OS of choice ... though I'd say there are more than a few
such folks around.

There are also lots here who're here to learn, to share their knowledge
when they think they can help people out, or just for entertainment.

Nobody here is being paid to field support questions that are *much*
better answered elsewhere, or to teach people the very basics of using a
computer. Sometimes folks may choose to, but that's their choice.

My personal experience of PLUG when I was new here was pretty good.
Often confusing, but I learned a lot, people were understanding,
helpful, and tolerant. Then again, I wasn't coming here with the
illusion that it was a tutorial and "conversion" group that would do
whatever I wanted. I thought it was a group of users discussing a topic,
and thought I could learn from that an occasionally usefully contribute.
I didn't have any expectation that people would leap to fix my problems,
or that it was some sort of paid-support-without-the-paying forum where
I could demand answers or help. As a result, I've found PLUG a very
interesting and beneficial place and I'm still here today.

Thinking you can demand that the attitudes of people on this list "must
change" to fit your notion of what this list should be about is the very
arrogance you've been talking about in its purest form. It's also pure
idiocy - we're a collection of individuals with different views,
motivations, and interests.

A phrase involving pots and kettles comes to mind right about now.

--
Craig Ringer