[plug] Newbie Guide - The beginning

Timothy White weirdo at tigris.org
Sun Jan 30 11:31:36 WST 2005

Arie Hol wrote:

>On 28 Jan 2005 at 19:43, rpowersau at gmail.com wrote:
>
>8<----------------snip ------------->8
>

>>I guess my point in the end is that you only get out of something what
>>you put into it. If you're coming to linux to be spoon fed happy
>>meals, you might as well keep paying you're ms tax and stick with
>>windoze. Bill will be quite happy to smile as he takes your money.
>>:-)
>>
>>If you want to learn linux and interact with a good community, or even
>>get into a good flame war or two, stay here and enjoy.
>>

>8<----------------snip ------------->8
>
>Fair comment perhaps ?
>
>Most new comers haven't got anything to "PUT IN" except for their curiosity, enthusiasm and the
>courage to come forward. But I guess that the comments quoted above deals with most newcomers
>before they can say "Gee thanks".
>
>Most new users don't want to be spoon fed - if so they would STAY WITH WINDOWS and not even bother
>to make enquiries about LINUX.

Or dislike the unstable windows so ask there Geek friend what they do
about it and find out about Linux but still want to be spoon fed.

>Most of them do want to learn about Linux and interact with a good community - but it doesn't
>always happen - they don't all get a chance to get beyond their initial inquiry.
>
>Newcomers only need one "bad" reaction or experience  with an "experienced" user and it taints
>their entire perception of Linux.

The best person to talk to a newbie about Linux is a friend, because
that way they know where they are coming from.
Maybe we need to make more friends with the Newbie's?

>I thought P.L.U.G was a "users" group, and not an elitist, professionals, guru, geek, phreak (take
>your pick) group
>
>Maybe the above mentioned types are in the wrong club , maybe they should join S.L.I.P.W.A (sorry
>if I spelt it wrong).
>
>Whatever advantages Linux may offer to the "world" it all pales into insignificance due the
>attitudes that prevail with the current hierarchy of people who purportedly could be the best
>ambassadors for Linux.
>
>The future of Linux is in no doubt.
>
>But if ordinary people at home cannot get the help and guidance that they seek and need from the
>Linux community, then they will keep on feeding the parasitic juggernaut we know as Microsoft.

Seen it to many times. "No, we can't get rid of windows. We need 'X' and
can't be bothered learning anything new. Besides, everyone uses Windows
so if anything goes wrong it's easy to fix." That's when I bang my head
because I just spent the last X days fixing there Windows box and it
took so long because it's not easy.

>Perhaps the Linux elitists, professionals, gurus, geeks, phreaks (whatever) are woried about losing
>their status as more newbies and lusers take up the cause for and with Linux.

What status? Aren't well all just Linux Users and not luser?

>Most new comers just want to switch on their computers and do what they like to do everyday and get
>on with their lives, instead of dealing with the hassles they get - whether it's on Windows, Linux,
>OS2, or even DOS.

Yep. 100%

>All the above adds weight to the comments I made in my last post.
>
>No offence intended.

None taken (by me) ;)

Tim

--
Tim White - Use the Fox, Luke!
PGP/GPG id: 602E944D, Pub Key Serv: subkeys.pgp.net