[plug] Newbie Guide - The beginning

bob bob at fots.org.au
Fri Jan 28 23:42:10 WST 2005

Please understand that I want to say these things to help improve PLUGs
relationship with newbies (and others) on this list. It is something that I
feel that PLUG needs to address so it can grow.

I have been a member of PLUG for some years now, and a list subscriber for
considerably longer. I have persisted with PLUG despite the problems with
dealing with newbies (and not so newbies) in hopes of an improvement... The
time has come to put my 2c in  (and hope it is taken as it is meant).

Firstly I would like to thank (again) those people who have offered me help
via the list and also thank those members that provide informative, helpful
and entertaining posts. I'd also hope that there are some list members who
might re evaluate how they appear to other list participants in their
posts. I have lost track of the number of times I have cringed at a
response to someone new to the list, yes its often an unthinking, offhand
and even semi-automatic, response but nevertheless it is the last you will
see of the newby.

Expressing contempt for someone who has asked some lame question, because
they may not know enough to be able to ask something sensible, is not the
answer. Everyone needs some hand holding now and then and it would serve
PLUG well to be seen a a friendly place to come to ask advice. That doesn't
mean you have to give out "happy meals"... it does mean being prepared to
point someone in the direction of a clue, _if_ you're willing to be helpful
today, otherwise NOT launching into a distro war in a thread started by
someone who has only just today heard of Linux.

Flaming other members to a crisp in the list is not the answer [1]. It
scares newbies off if they think they're going to be treated as badly.

Cries of RTFM doesn't answer the question "which FM!". Maybe even how to
RTFM may be needed. The fact that FMs exist may be a revelation to some.

Spelling and grammar NAZI-ism is not the answer. If a question is too badly
phrased to make sense of then ask for clarification but don't sling off
until you understand the circumstances behind the post.

I suppose I'm being a bit Emily Postnews [2] here but I think this is
something that the PLUG list needs to consider - The ill bred rantings of
some of the more troglodyte posts are driving away new members [3].

Irrespective of what the list may or may not be it is _perceived_ by the
newbies that come with their posts as a place of advice. They need to be
welcomed if PLUG is to continue to grow.

PLUG's website says...
"One of the main forms of communication between PLUG members is our e-mail
list. The list is a good way to get help if you're new to Linux, and also a
good place for general discussion—both technical and social—regarding Linux
and related topics. "

Newbies believe that sort of thing.

I know there have been suggestions in the past re starting a list for asking
newby questions - all of which have been duly shot down. Perhaps it is time
to reverse that and suggest that a list for the combative members to post
in be created and a policy of polite conversation instituted in this list.
It is after all the online public face of PLUG, the one that is advertised
as the first point of contact with Linux users in Perth.

A small aphorism that may help...
“Be conservative in what you transmit and liberal in what you accept.”
Postel's Law:

This is still about PLUG being a better PLUG. I hope I haven't offended
anyone too badly and I harbour the hope that this post may lead to some
constructive discussion.

Thanks for reading :).

[1] even in jest... which is not to say humour is out of place... just so
long as you can reasonably expect others to understand it as such.

[2] http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/emily-postnews/part1/

[3] I know several IT professionals who would be stellar additions to PLUG
due to their experience and knowledge - except that they are less than
enthusiastic about joining because of the list.

--
"Make no heroes," my father said.

-The voice of Ghanima,
From the Oral History