[plug] Newbie Guide - The beginning

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Sun Jan 30 17:12:01 WST 2005

Kev wrote:

> Whether you all like it or not, the *nix world is just that - a world on
> its own.  Anyone brought up on DOS based systems (or CP/M) will struggle
> with *nix concepts.  It'd be different if you were brought up on *nix,
> but trying to unlearn all that old stuff and start again is very hard,
> especially for an ol' fart like me.

I was raised on Apple Dos 3.3 (the 16 sector version) and CP/M. I then moved onto Windows and MS
DOS. I felt like I was coming home when I moved to Linux. I still run up my Apple ][ from time to
time. Windows (and MacOS) still feels a lot like another planet. MacOS at least is reasonably
intuitive, consistent and laid out well from a motor memory standpoint.
I just don't like Windows. I used it from 3.1 through to 95, but in 1997 I changed my main desktop
to Linux (after a year of playing with it on a multi-use server) and I have never looked back.

I'm now working with QEMU and Win4Lin to allow me to run Win2k so I can continue to use Linux and
still fit in with my new corporate policy. I see no reason to go back to a system that enforces a
reduction in my productivity.

Brad (This is coming from a guy who posted a screenshot of his Linux desktop and had someone on the
PLUG list it was possibly the ugliest desktop he had ever seen. Hell, I'm a command line guy not a
graphic artist!)