[plug] Newbie Guide - The beginning

Timothy White weirdo at tigris.org
Sun Jan 30 11:18:11 WST 2005

Kev wrote:

> Whether you all like it or not, the *nix world is just that - a world
> on its own.  Anyone brought up on DOS based systems (or CP/M) will
> struggle with *nix concepts.  It'd be different if you were brought up
> on *nix, but trying to unlearn all that old stuff and start again is
> very hard, especially for an ol' fart like me.

I don't think this is true (at least not for me.)

If you were brought up on DOS or another Command Line based OS then
Linux shouldn't be so daunting to you. No Trash can for accidental
deletes, changing scripts to get it to boot right and for some games,
booting differently.

All in all my DOS days helped me get into Linux probably because my hand
wasn't glued to the mouse like some windows users.

I found that the Linux Command Line was like the DOS one in many ways
except it was more powerful with lots of extra features waiting to be
discovered when I explored more.

Tim

--
Tim White - Use the Fox, Luke!
PGP/GPG id: 602E944D, Pub Key Serv: subkeys.pgp.net