[plug] Newbys guide

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sun Jan 30 17:50:52 WST 2005

Timothy White wrote:

> >odd.  I want reliable USB support and parallel port support for a
> >printer. I also want to be able to send and receive faxes.
>
> Not wanting to sound like a broken record but I believe that Debian
> should be able to do all of that.

Heh.  Reliable USB?  Linux?  Bah.  Well, some USB devices work
reliably for me (mice, keyboards, cameras, RS232 serial port adapters)
but I find USB storage devices (flash drives and hard drives) to often
need to be plugged and unplugged a few times before they'll show up.
Likewise firewire disc drives.  A lot of USB devices just aren't
supported at all under Linux.  Others "sorta kinda" work.  Oh, and
some USB chipsets are completely broken in certain kernel versions
(e.g. nforce USB in 2.6.8 would never work for me).  Yay.

Okay, I'll stop ranting now, I think I'm scaring the newbies and I
should probably be setting a good example or something. :-/

Cameron.