[plug] Newbie Guide - The beginning

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Jan 30 18:16:25 WST 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 18:03 +0800, Alex Polglaze wrote:

> My experience with computers would make me agree with the first paragraph. In
> fact, I have found that in trying to get Linux installed over Windows, because
> of the choices available, people get scared. As a result, I wrote the following
> to describe the situation, called "The Problem with Choice";
>
> Choice causes indecision.
>
> Indecision causes uncertainty.
>
> Uncertainty causes doubt.
>
> Doubt causes animosity.
>
> Animosity causes rejection.

I find this depends a lot on the user. I see a lot of what you describe
at work. I also see people who really *like* being able to have things
how they want and the option to use what they prefer rather than what's
shoved down their throat. Heck, one of our sales staff even switched
over to Evolution from Thunderbird because it felt more familiar.

At work I provide a simple default environment that hides 99% of the
functionality of the system and lets users just get on with it. I think
this is important and necessary, especially when dealing with computer-
illiterate users or users with little confidence and experience.
However, I don't try to deny them the option of using other things
(though I may choose not to spend my time helping them except to show
them how to get back to the original environment), nor do I go out of my
way to hide the fact that alternatives exist, and this works well.

> People aren't used to having three web browsers to deal with. The are used to
> clicking here for the web, here for e-mail etc.. Give them multiple choice and
> they loose it.

I disagree. If you /force/ multiple choices of equal apparent "weight"
on them - like 3 web browsers in the "Internet" menu with no clear way
to pick - then that does tend to spook people. If you provide them with
a clear default choice, then I don't think it's necessary to eliminate
alternatives.

A good example here would be to have one browser in the default launcher
area, and that browser clearly marked and obvious in the menus. I don't
then think it's a big deal to have other options present too, so long as
the "default" or standard option is obvious.

--
Craig Ringer