[plug] Newbie Guide - The beginning

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sun Jan 30 18:16:52 WST 2005

Alex Polglaze wrote:

> People aren't used to having three web browsers to deal with. The are used
> to clicking here for the web, here for e-mail etc.. Give them multiple
> choice and they loose it.

I think the issue here is that you're talking about different kinds of
choice.  Brad's concerned about keeping the "I don't like this, give
me something different that does things the way _I_ work" kind of
choice, while you're complaining about being forced to make choices
about things which aren't really relevant (3 different web browsers,
all of which work, and so on).  It's quite possible to preserve the
first kind of choice while removing the unnecessary decision making,
but requires a bit more effort when designing the system.

I think it's also pleasing to note that a lot free software is moving
closer towards this ideal - there's a lot less in the way "stupid
questions" involved in setting up a Linux system than there used to,
for example.

Cameron.