[plug] Newbys guide

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Sun Jan 30 19:26:13 WST 2005

On Sun, Jan 30, 2005 at 07:00:49PM +0800, Kev wrote:
> >IIRC HPFS is in the kernel. I'll check later.
>
> Don't you see you've gone and done the PLUG thing.  You're talking right
> out of my league.  Under different circumstances I'd simply give up and
> go away.  THIS IS THE PLUG THING!!!  What the hell is IIRC????  What are
> source trees?????  I'm NOT a programmer!!!!  What's a kernel module????
>  I know how to install device drivers!!

Try a google search for "iirc".  The second link is titled "Acronym
Finder Search: What does iirc stand for?"

In this context it stands for "If I Recall/Remember Correctly".

Similarly, a search for "what is a kernel module" gets you a link to
the "Linux Loadable Kernel Module HOWTO".

> Don't get too annoyed.  I'm trying to add the passion to my plea.

And I'm trying to point out that the answers to these things are at
your fingertips.  Any field has its jargon.  Any time I go into a
garden centre I experience the same sort of thing.  One big difference
for _this_ field (computers and operating systems) is that these days
you're likely to be connected to a huge store of information ("the
internet") at the very moment you're confused about some piece of
jargon.

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
Hey, waiter!  I want a NEW SHIRT and a PONY TAIL with lemon sauce!