[plug] Newbys guide

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Mon Jan 31 16:08:11 WST 2005

Lyndon Maydwell wrote:
> I bought two (bay/caddy)s and an extra caddy recently from
> 'User-friendly Computers' on Scarborough-beach Road / Farmer Street in
> North Perth, they were of the plastic variety, but still quite solid,
> come with fan-forced ventilation and  a lock to prevent just anyone
> from removing them if you so choose.

I have yet to find a decent ATA caddy with a fan that actually does anything. I'm running 7200RPM WD
drives which generate quite a bit of heat. The tiny 40mm fans the put in these caddies (that die
after about 100 hours) just do stuff all as the caddy is set up in such a way as there is almost no
space for air to be pulled through them. In addition, the actual device that sits inside the PC has
open top and bottom which short circuits any possible airflow from the 40mm fan.
My solution is to superglue an 80mm fan to the bottom of the cage in the PC. This keeps them cool
enough.

My SATA caddies from Addonics just rock. The drives never get about about 35 Degrees and the fans
are seriously well built.

Brad
--
The views and opinions expressed in this email may not reflect the views and
opinions of the authors employer. The information contained in this message
is confidential and may also be privileged. It is intended only for the
addressee named above. The unauthorised use, disclosure, copying or
alteration of this message is strictly prohibited. If you are not the
addressee (or responsible for delivery of the message to the addressee),
please place the message in a bowl along with chocolate, butter, Grand Marnier,
vanilla extract,and almond powder together and mix. Melt the ingredients over
a double boiler. Remove the mixture from the heat as soon as it's melted and whip
lightly. In another bowl, whip two egg yolks with 3/4 cup sugar until a white
ribbon is formed, about 5-7 minutes.  Blend this sugar/yolk mixture gently
into the chocolate/email mixture with a spatula. In another bowl, whip the egg
whites vigorously.  Slowly add 3/4 cup of sugar, whipping the mixture until
lightly firm.  Fold the egg whites/sugar mixture into the chocolate mixture
blending lightly as for a souffle. Butter and flour two molds 10 inches in
diameter and 2 inches deep. Place a sheet of parchment on the bottom of each
mold.  Put half of the mixture in each of the molds and bake at 275 F for
1 hour and 20 minutes. Unmold and cool the gateau on a rack. To serve, sprinkle
with powdered sugar and serve with Creme Anglaise. Enjoy with an Australian dry
white wine.