[plug] Dazed and Confused - Need Help ?

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Sun Jan 30 21:15:42 WST 2005

Sorry if the following does not make sense or seems incoherent - I have a migraine, but here goes :

Would it be worthwhile for the wiser heads of PLUG to get together and work-out some form of
approach for newcomers to Linux, regarding :

1 - Selecting a particular distro to recommend for "beginners"
	(thinks - maybe the Computer Angels distro)
2 - Create a pathway for them to follow.
	(thinks - Then everybody knows where they are going and what comes next)
3 - Base PLUG support on this pathway.
	(thinks maybe the problem base will become centralized and more focused)
4 - Advise newcomers of this pathway and get them to follow it for at least (3-6-9) months before
getting too adventurous.
5 - People who want to be spoon fed can be pointed back to the pathway, until they understand what
they need to do
	(we provide first aid not life support)

I hope you guys get my drift on this one.

Once this pathway becomes established, then maybe the not so experienced members can reduce the
load on our frontline experts - share the load.

If all PLUG members understand the pathway, then there could be more harmony between gurus and
newbies. Resulting in respect for gurus and more tolerance for newbies.

I realise this will may be seen as "cutting" the choices down (initially) but at least we can get
them up and running on something "easy" so they can start to learn, understand and appreciate where
we are at and what Linux is really all about.

In other words  - we embrace newcomers - show them the pathway to follow - let them know what is
expected of them - see them benefit and watch them grow - and maybe instil the  pride and joy  of
giving and sharing on new level for everybody.

No I will not volunteer for this one - I'm very busy at the moment.

Just some thoughts about a possible solution, I don't want to upset the gurus but by the same token
I do not want to see newcomers giving up before they have made a half decent effort supported by
some half decent help.

NOTE:
All the above doesn't read right for me - but I feel I had to write it somehow - I have had a
migraine all day - and brain is out of town.

Regards Arie