[plug] Newbys guide

Timothy White weirdo at tigris.org
Sun Jan 30 23:11:14 WST 2005

Kev wrote:

> Cameron Patrick wrote:
>
>> Hmm.  I was assuming that the tricky bit was getting the audio from
>> vinyl LPs and into wav files, not the actual burning of CDs.
>

> No, the tricky bit is getting any sound support AT ALL installed.
> I've used K3B, but what good is that for me with no sound?
>
> The more I read in this thread the more inclined I am to just say too
> hard, and go away.  You gize have tossed more problems in the last
> half a dozen posts than I thought I had to begin with.

Seems like some people on the list skipped over that bit about no sound.

I'm going to try and see if your kernel has ALSA in it. (It may help if
you tell us what kernel version you are using. try 'uname -a')

Can you give us the output of the following commands

$ ls /proc/asound/
(If you get a 'No such file or directory' error message then don't
bother continuing with the next commands
$ cat /proc/asound/cards
$ cat /proc/asound/oss/sndstat
$ cat /proc/asound/pcm

These should let us know if you have alsa in the kernel (I am going from
what is on my computer so it may not work)

>>   The GNOME alternatives seem
>> to be lagging quite a bit behind at the moment, from what I can see,
>> though the integrated nautilus CD burner is faster and simpler for
>> just getting data or an ISO onto a disc.

I thought the latest version had audio support. Can anyone verify this?

Tim

--
Tim White - Use the Fox, Luke!
PGP/GPG id: 602E944D, Pub Key Serv: subkeys.pgp.net