[plug] Newbys guide

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Mon Jan 31 00:08:12 WST 2005

Kev wrote:
> All of you still posting
>
> Look back over the last half a dozen posts in this thread (not mine).
> I've been pointed at more useful resources in 5 minutes than in the
> previous 12 months.  Somewhere back near the beginning of this thread I
> said something like there's so much stuff out there that the unintiated
> like I simply don't know where to start.  If I was to read through all
> that stuff looking for my problem explained in words of 2 syllables or
> less I'd need 2 more lifetimes.  RTFM (I know that one) is NOT a valid
> answer, because TFM is too bloody big and too bloody contradictory.  The
> irony is that you have to have passed the iniation to make sense of TFM.

When I first got interested in computers in the far-distant-past, the first advice I got WRT manuals was "Open it to an arbitrary place in the middle, read to the end, then start at the beginning and read to the end."

It still seems to apply, except it takes weeks to read to the end rather than hours.

Jim