[plug] Newcomers' welcome

Nathan D natdan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 17:38:33 WST 2005

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 12:45:33 +0800, James Devenish
<devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Here is my first public draft of a newcomers' "welcome message".
> This would be sent automatically to each new subscriber when he
> or she joins the list. I welcome your revisions, and you should
> probably post them to the list so that others than gauge their
> feelings. When providing amendments to the message, please be
> sure to quote clearly (or bottom-post) to make it practical
> for us to merge your suggestions.
>
> PS. In light of the recent discussion about beginners, I have
> rewritten this message. I might have inadvertently left out a
> few of the things we previously said we should include.

<snip>
You mentioned that a few things had been left out.  As the text that
you have provided is fairly comprehensive already, you may want to
consider posting links for additional resources?  One such link that I
have seen referred to, and have referred to others, is "How To Ask
Questions The Smart Way" -
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html (which does also
include the section "How To Answer Questions in a Helpful Way")

For consideration and comment by all.

regards,
 Nathan D.

natdan at gmail.com