[plug] Newcomers' welcome

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jan 31 17:54:14 WST 2005

Hi,

In message <1a49a4c105013101384f5f6568 at mail.gmail.com>
on Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 05:38:33PM +0800, Nathan D wrote:
> You mentioned that a few things had been left out...you may want to
> consider posting links for additional resources?  One such link that
> I have seen referred to, and have referred to others, is "How To Ask
> Questions The Smart Way" -
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html (which does also

I agree, although I'd like the welcome message to appear as "self-
contained" as possible: so I'd suggest putting links at the end, not
in the middle. Unfortunately, I tend to cringe at the title ("How to
Ask Questions the Smart Way"). I think it's a perfect title for many
contexts, where it is being used to "screen out" some people's e-mails.
I don't want to give that false impression, though, since it's not our
aim.