[plug] 64-bit notebooks

Phillip Kilby bishop.frog at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 11:17:52 WST 2005

I'm not sure if this helps much.
My mates got an AMD 64 laptop with a gig of ram, boy it hoons. It's a
faster and smoother game system than my Athlon XP2100+ with 512MB of
ram. Admittedly I could fix that by getting more memory and a better
video card, although I can see already that a64 is far superior to the
old er athlon core.

Phillip

On 6/30/05, Cameron Patrick <cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au> wrote:
> Russell Steicke wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 09:16:07AM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> > > The Pentium M ("Centrino") is easily the most energy efficient x86 CPU
> > > and the Intel wireless and graphics chipsets are very well supported
> > > under Linux.
> >
> > When did this change?  Last I heard, linux users should avoid Centrino
> > as it was undocumented and without wireless drivers.  Did Intel have a
> > change of heart?
>
> When I bought my laptop about a year ago, the (Intel-written, open
> source) drivers for my laptop had just about reached the 'usable'
> stage.  They still require proprietary firmware to be uploaded into
> the card, but Intel provide these for download for Linux users (under
> a non-free but zero cost licence).  The newer ipw2200 (54Mbit 802.11g
> wireless card) had open source drivers in a working state a couple of
> months after it become available.
>
> Cameron.

"The ecological crisis is a moral issue."