[plug] Pet Hates

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Jul 3 14:12:26 WST 2005

simon wrote:

>really? its heat?

For Lithium-ion batteries, yes. NiCd batteries have the behaviour you
described in your rant re topping up, etc. Lithium-ion batteries degrade
based on time and charge cycles - it doesn't matter how big the charges
are. Lithium-ion barries also have a battery management system built in
that prevents overcharging (IIRC over/undercharged Li-ion batteries have
the nasty tendency to explode) so leaving them plugged in all the time
is fine.

Most laptops, however, are way too toasty for such batteries. That's one
of the reasons I have my laptop run its cooling fan even on low CPU mode
(I love the way Toshiba laptops give you control of this) and force the
fan to on when the lapop gets even a bit warm. It's also why I'll never,
ever buy a P4 laptop - only Pentium M. My current PII/300 (runs at
150MHz most of the time) does a great job, though, and has the battery
sensibly well separated from the "hot bits" of the laptop.

Check out http://www.apple.com/batteries for some useful info. Be aware
that they sell batteries, of course ;-) .

--
Craig Ringer