[plug] Pet Hates

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Sun Jul 3 23:02:58 WST 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-03 at 20:05 +0800, Chris Caston wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-07-03 at 15:19, Shayne O'Neill wrote:
> > My pet hate?
> >
> > "Can you come around and fix my computer?"
>
> That's when you say no but I know a guy that does this for a living that
> could help you.

Remember when my wife was in labour with my son, she wanted an epidural,
so they called the anaesthiologist. A male of maybe 28. He was looking
through the file, when he saw my profession, and started telling me all
about the computer system he has at his office. Immensely boring stuff
about windows, and how he enters the account info, and blah, blah .....

So I said to him "Y'know, Doc, us computer guys and doctors have a lot
in common". He looked sorta incredulous that anyone could have anything
in common with a doc, and said "What do you mean?"

I asked "Ever been to a party and when people hear you're a doc, they
start wanting to take you aside and describe their symptoms?" He looked
thoughtful, and said "Yes, it's very irritating, I feel like asking them
to strip for an exam right, there, but obviously I can't" long pause
"Who d'you fancy in the rugby this afternoon?"