[plug] Need help getting into publisher files.

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Jul 4 19:46:36 WST 2005

Leon Brooks wrote:

>On Monday 04 July 2005 12:52, simon wrote:
>

>>Has anyone mentioned OOo Impress yet?

Draw or Writer would be better choices I suspect. Neither are a good fit.

>>Does it have MS Publisher import capability?
>>

>No.
>
>Well, you can cut and paste between them on MS-'doze, of course. But
>basically, no. Also, you would be better of using OOWriter. Define a
>few frames and it does everything except automatically create new pages
>(and you may be able to do that with a template and/or style, I haven't
>tried) and do WordArt (and I understand that OOo 2.0 has a similar
>tool).

Yep.

Be aware that OO.o writer may leave you sobbing in frustration if you
try to do page layout style tasks with it. You'll be able to do it, but
it's painful and there's a good chance it'll just explode if you open it
on a different system. Maybe they've done some drastic changes for 2.x
that make that less the case - I should check, since I have it lying around.

Of course, most/all of the free alternatives have a good chance of
leaving you sobbing in frustration for one reason or another :S

To the best of my knowledge there is no good answer to this question
except "keep using Publisher" or "bite the bullet and re-do the files
from exported images and text". As someone who wants *VERY* badly to be
able to deal with MS Publisher files (we get them at work from people
who can't read our accepted formats list, then turn out not to have
Acrobat ...), I've never found a way to do so. Including buying
Publisher, actually, since like most DTP formats a doc is useless
without the fonts it was made with (and in the case of publisher may
break if set up for a *different* *printer*). The best I normally manage
is to get them to export to PDF, or failing that save as PostScript with
embedded fonts and I ps2pdf/distill it at work. That's no good if you
want to retain editability - so you're back at square 1.

--
Craig Ringer