[plug] john the ripper

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Wed Jul 6 13:17:06 WST 2005

I didnt get a reply to this so isnt anyone using john?  If not john,
what do people use to audit their systems?

Perhaps people think I'm on a hacking attempt but I was recently scanned
by one of those scripts that try a dictionary attack on ssh passwords -
it was few hundred entries in when I blackholed them, but now I want to
know how strong my passwords really are.  I would have thought that
auditing a system with public access in this fashion is a normal
procedure to avoid exposure - or is my knowledge of security and
responsibility that far out of date?

Google is not a lot of help here ranging from "JtR is a fast cracker" to
"forever" so I am after "whats a reasonable time"

BillK