[plug] john the ripper

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Wed Jul 6 13:34:49 WST 2005

Ordinarily you wouldn't allow global access to ssh anyway, so any script
kiddies shouldn't be able to even connect to the service to begin with.

Secondly, what services on the box are people other than yourself
accessing?  If it's not anything that requires the user to have a valid
shell to be able to login to that service with, then change the user's
shell to something like /bin/false so that the user's can't log in via
ssh anyway, so any dictionary attack against your users won't be successful.

I think you're looking at the wrong place to secure your box, I mean
password strength auditing is something you can do... but stopping
people from being able to access privileged services to be able to
launch the dictionary attack in the first place is probably a better
place to start.

/ Ben