[plug] Unix file permission problem (I think)

Steve Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Thu Jul 7 23:49:04 WST 2005

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 11:25 pm, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> Steve Boak wrote:
> > I am trying to create a directory 'Linux' on a basically empty partition
> > mounted on '/var/share/download', logged in as normal user 'steve'.
>
> How recently did you add yourself to the group?  If you haven't logged
> out and back in (note that e.g. restarting your xterm is not enough,
> you need to re-authenticate) then you might not have the relevant
> group access.
>
> You can quickly check by seeing that `id` and `id steve` give the same
> set of groups.
>
> Cameron.

Thanks Cameron - 'id' and 'id steve' do indeed give different results, with
'id' not having the 'share' group. Logged out of KDE and back in, and the
problem is solved!

As you suggest, I had created the 'share' group in this session. Can you
explain why starting a new xterm does not pick up the new group settings?

Also thanks also Bernard and Richard.

Steve