[plug] Mail Server question

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 08:51:19 WST 2005

On 7/10/05, Joong Cho <joongcho at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Been a long time since I posted a query or topic. Anyway, here goes.
>
> The mail system on my server seems to be working okay, but everytime I set
> something up using Microsoft Outlook or other Linux mail programs, I get an
> error message saying: Can't connect to mail.joongcho.com connection refused.
> Is this because I haven't set up my mail server properly yet and how do I go
> about setting up a mail server. I have got dovecot installed on my server
> but don't know a thing or two about how to go with setting it up and I'm
> using postfix for my mail transfer agent.

You can probably ignore the postfix setup for now. A default dovecot
install will usually find the mail easily.

Firstly check that Dovecot is listening on more than just loopback and
is setup to serve out mail. (If you can use a mail client like
Thunderbird on the server so you can test locally to start of with.)
On my server I have the following lines that I had to change.

Firstly set it up to server out mail. (add imaps, pop3s, to protocols.
And also imap and pop3 if you also want non ssl encrypted connections)
---
# Protocols we want to be serving:
#  imap imaps pop3 pop3s
protocols = imap imaps pop3 pop3s
---
That should be all you need to change (well it was on my install).
Then restart/start dovecot with /etc/init.d/dovecat restart.

Tim