[plug] (K)Ubuntu + Postfix + POP + IMAP

Adrian Gould Ady at kiltotter.com
Mon Jul 11 10:54:11 WST 2005

Howdy everyone

Ok, I¹m a total newbie when it comes to setting up a Linux mail server.

I¹ve been so used to Mercury for easy set up in the past on a Winblows box,
that it did spoil me.

I¹ve got an Ubuntu install and it uses Postfix as its default installed SMTP
server.

I think that bit is running ok, but the next bit has me stumped.

I¹d like to set up the following:

1. Postfix to allow multiple domains to be serviced
2. POP and IMAP server daemons via something like Courier
3. POP client to grab mail (via Fetchmail?)

I have ZERO idea on these, and the web¹s tutorials have been a bit hard to
follow, and in fact got me lost (I¹ve got about 10^6 other things going on
in my head at the moment).

Anyone set Ubuntu up as a home / small business server with Mail, Web,DNS
and other facilities and they would not mind taking me through setting up my
Œbaby¹?

I¹ve got a problem of only using public transport and I do not finish work
until after 5 most nights, so it makes it hard to get places.

The end result, besides setting up this server, could be a set of short
tutorials to help others out in the public (CC) arena :)

Thanks in advance

Ady