[plug] (K)Ubuntu + Postfix + POP + IMAP

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Jul 11 16:59:47 WST 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 10:54 +0800, Adrian Gould wrote:
> Howdy everyone
>
> Ok, I’m a total newbie when it comes to setting up a Linux mail
> server.
>
> I’ve been so used to Mercury for easy set up in the past on a Winblows
> box, that it did spoil me.
>
> I’ve got an Ubuntu install and it uses Postfix as its default
> installed SMTP server.
>
> I think that bit is running ok, but the next bit has me stumped.
>
> I’d like to set up the following:
>
>      1. Postfix to allow multiple domains to be serviced
>      2. POP and IMAP server daemons via something like Courier

for which, presumably, you'll also want virtual domain support.

The two most recommended POP/IMAP servers here are Dovecot (by most
folks) and Cyrus (by me) ;-) . Dovecot is a much lower impact, easier to
set up service, while Cyrus is a very powerful mail server that wants to
"own" your mail spools.

You might want to think about using TLS-enabled IMAP and POP3 for
external access. Note that IMAPs and POP3s will generally not work well
for virtual domains, since the server can't negotate with the client to
find out what domain the client thinks it is before having to present a
certificate.

>      1. POP client to grab mail (via Fetchmail?)

eeeew. I'd seriously consider getting the MX records for your domain
aimed your way if you can, and accepting mail directly. That lets you
avoid hacks like multidrop POP mailboxes, and gives you *much* more
control over mail delivery (especially things like the use of RBLs).

> I have ZERO idea on these, and the web’s tutorials have been a bit
> hard to follow, and in fact got me lost (I’ve got about 10^6 other
> things going on in my head at the moment).

> Anyone set Ubuntu up as a home / small business server with Mail,
> Web,DNS  and other facilities and they would not mind taking me
> through setting up my ‘baby’?

I wrote a whole bunch on web and DNS at a *very* basic level here a
while ago. Search for "Joong Cho" ;-) . I don't know if that'd be
useful.

To even know where to start, I'd need to know your planned network
configuration. Is the server behind a NAT router and using port
forwarding? Is it directly exposed to the 'net? how will your domains be
configured? etc.

> I’ve got a problem of only using public transport and I do not finish
> work until after 5 most nights, so it makes it hard to get places.

Well, coming to one of the PLUG nights would still be a good way to
start.

--
Craig Ringer